Looking to sail today with the development group and can see winds are forecast F4 gusting F5, which reminded me of this really useful guide on Heavy Weather Sailing Tips put together by Pete Shuttleworth.
There’s a lot to think about even before you get on the water and some handy tips about what to do ‘when’ (not if) that gust comes along so you can be confident in your sailing.
What can ruin the fun of sailing in heavy weather?
- feel out of control
- tired and exhausted
- cold and wet,
- feeling anxious about capsizing
How to enjoy it?
- be prepared
- wear the right clothes
- think about it before you set sail
- practice with someone who has experience
- listen and watch what they say and do
- ask questions
- keep sailing more and more and build up your experience and confidence
- Read this guid on Heavy Weather Sailing Tips
Looking forward to sailing today. We’ll need to keep an eye on the weather and the wind, it looks like fun sailing day to me.
Enjoy your sailing.